Saturday, April 04, 2009

Revenge of the GRE

[NOTE: The Graduate Record Exam is the hellish rite of passage for college students who, facing the prospect of actually leaving their dorm rooms, decide they’d like to spend another 4, 5, or 6 years in campus housing.]

I used to think I was a pretty smart guy. Then I took the GRE.

Ever since that heinous experience eight years ago, I've always gone out of my way to counsel any friend of mine who is getting ready to take the test:

"Keep in mind, it's a test to get you into grad school. It's not like the ACT or the SAT," I'd say.

"It's designed to take top-tier students and spread them out on a measurable spectrum," I'd say.

“Don't worry, it's supposed to be a ruthless, masochistic assault on your sense of self-worth as an intelligent human being that will kick you to the academic curb thinking your only sensible career option is to be first assistant to the guy scraping congealed grease off the floor at Denny's," I'd say.

I never got an exact count, but I felt like I got about 20% of the questions right on that stupid test….

Two weeks ago I took the GRE again.

Read the rest of the story at Wounded Mosquito.

No comments: